Players can update their game files by running the auto-update feature on Steam. Valheim’s incompatible version error is caused by a mismatch between the game file versions on the player’s end and the remote server’s end. The best way to overcome this issue at the earliest is by updating the player’s game files to the remote server’s game version. Valheim: Fix incompatible version error after the update
If a player does not have automatic updates enabled, they can do so by following a few simple steps:
- Right-click on Valheim in the player’s Steam library
- Click on “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Updates” tab and download any pending updates
This will allow the player to update their game files to the latest version of Valheim. While normally.
Steam suggests the player update the Valheim servers every time they update the game. Once the player has successfully updated their game files.
They will need to ensure that the remote server is also updated to the latest version. In such cases, players will be required to perform a force-installation of the Valheim server’s update. However, at times.
A player might need to force install these updates on Valheim servers to overcome the incompatible version error.
Players can do the same by following this series of steps:
- Before getting started with the process, players are advised to back up all the data present in Valheim’s installation directory.
- To begin the process, players will need to download and install SteamCMD.
- While after SteamCMD has been successfully installed.
- The player needs to create a new file in Valheim’s installation directory and name it “Update.bat”
- Players will need to type “[SteamCMD directory] + login anonymous + force_install_dir [Valheim installation directory] + app_update 896660 validate + exit” in the “Update.bat” file and save it.
- Players will now have to run the “Update.bat” file to update Valheim servers to the latest version.