The Vikings pillaged, raided, and pirated before trading and settling throughout Europe. The Vikings were from the southern Scandinavian region, most active from the ninth century to the 11th century. There are multiple trivial facts about Vikings that Valheim players should find fascinating. Valheim: 8 Viking facts players should know when playing Apart from the fact that Vikings never wore horned helmets despite being depicted with them in almost all mainstream media.
The 8 facts are
- Vikings preferred their hair color to be blonde. Vikings would often use a high lye content soap to bleach their hair in order to achieve blonde hair.
- Most days of the week are named after Norse gods, the gods worshipped by the Vikings. Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday, and Friday are named after Thor, Odin, Tyr, and Frigg.
- Vikings never called themselves Vikings. The term Viking was coined in the 19th century. During the period of the Vikings, they were called Norse, Norsemen, or Danes by other nations.
- The Old Norse language gave a lot of words to the English language. Words like “snort,” “lump,” “scrawny,” and “anger” can all be traced back to the ancient Nordic language used by the Vikings.
- Vikings were famous for their hygienic practices. They also ensured proper grooming. Of all the tools used by these people, grooming tools were the most commonly used.
- Famous for their seafaring ways, the Vikings were excellent boatmakers. The concept of longboats was initially designed by these Nordic people to carry larger numbers while also being able to harbor and depart from land quickly.
- Vikings had unique funerals for the deceased. In case of a prominent Viking’s death, they would be given a grand send-off on a boat with clothes, animals, and jewelry. The boat would be set on fire before pushing it out into the sea.
- Known for their physical strength and abilities, Vikings would often abandon their sick children. Abandonment methods usually involved leaving the child alone in the jungles or throwing them into the ocean.